Livingston Family Law Post-Judgment Attorneys

Guidance for Problems Arising After a Divorce

When you’re divorced, a judge will enter a Judgement of Divorce (“JOD”), attaching a signed Agreement, which outlines the essential terms of resolution. . This legal document specifies the agreements you reached and the responsibilities of you and your ex-spouse moving forward. The judgment accounts for your situations at the time of the divorce proceedings and is considered equitable. However, life is unpredictable, and a change in your or your ex-spouse's circumstances could make the provisions of you executed Agreement unworkable. Problems arising after a divorce is final are referred to as post-judgment issues. Resolving them requires filing a motion with the court seeking enforcement or modification..

Post-judgment matters can be challenging and emotional, as you are once again seeking to have sensitive issues resolved, such as child support, child custody, or alimony. Because of the nuances in the laws and procedural rules, it is essential to have an experienced family law attorney by your side throughout the process. At Ziegler & Resnick, we understand the difficulties families face when seeking to have a final judgment modified or enforced. That is why our attorneys provide compassionate and sound advice every step of the way. We will listen to your needs and goals, evaluate your situation, and discuss your legal options for relief. Our team will work hard to protect the best interests of you and your family and are prepared to pursue a favorable outcome on your behalf.

Schedule a consultation with a member of our team by calling us at (973) 878-4373 or contacting us online.

What Is a Post-Judgment Motion?

A post-judgment motion is a request made to the court to change specific provisions of an Agreement.. Generally, the motion is filed for one of two types of relief: modification or enforcement. A modification is where you ask the court to alter certain parts of an Order. An enforcement is where you inform the court that your ex-spouse has failed to comply with an Order, and you are asking the Court  to make your ex-spouse abide by the terms.

Whether you are filing or responding to a motion, our lawyers are here to help. We can ensure that you have completed the necessary documents and file a response within the appropriate time frame.

What Are Post-Judgment Issues?

During divorce proceedings, several matters are addressed and resolved. The resolutions for them are included in the JOD and signed Agreement. This ensures that you and your spouse know what is expected of you after your divorce. It also provides a legal mechanism for modification and enforcement, as the court can step in and decide on problems.

Common types of post-judgment issues that arise include, but are not limited to, matters involving:

  • Child support: Individuals may seek to decrease, increase, or terminate support payments.
  • Child custody: Parents may want to change or enforce custody arrangements.
  • Visitation: Parents may need to have parenting time arrangements modified or enforced.
  • Alimony: Individuals may motion to increase, decrease, or terminate spousal support amounts.
  • Emancipation: Parents may file a motion for emancipation of a minor child because of a change in the child’s circumstances (for example, the child marries or enlists in the Armed Forces), which can terminate support obligations.

As noted before, a substantial change in your or your ex-spouse’s circumstances may warrant filing a post-judgment motion.

Such changes could include, but are not limited to:

  • Job status (for example, promotion or job loss)
  • Work schedules
  • Health conditions
  • Mental illness
  • Relocation
  • Cohabitation 

When seeking or responding to a post-judgment issue, you must provide evidence to support your arguments whether a change is justified. Typically, the judge will decide the case based on the information contained in the documents you provide. However, in some situations, the judge will allow a hearing where you and your ex-spouse can orally present your cases. Either way, it is helpful to have an attorney guide you through the process.

At Ziegler & Resnick, our attorneys in Livingston, can compile evidence and build compelling arguments for your specific situation.

Get Help with Your Post-Judgment Issues in Livingston

Our team is ready to zealously advocate on your behalf. We deliver personalized attention and maintain close communication, allowing you to fully understand the progress of your case. During this emotionally and legally challenging time, we will provide the caring counsel you need.

For help from one of our Livingston post-judgment lawyers, contact us at (973) 878-4373.

Experienced Legal Team

With more than 100 years of collective legal experience, Ziegler, Resnick & Epstein is the firm you can trust to guide you through life’s most complex issues.

Our Client Testimonials

  • “Work with the best!”
  • “No one comes close to Vikki Ziegler.”
  • “There is NOBODY better than Vikki to have you in your corner.”

Take the First Step Today

Schedule a Consultation
  • We are active and well-known in the community with a strong dedication to professionalism.
  • Many of our attorneys have been featured on television/radio and frequently speak at various local and state bar seminars.
  • Our team of legal professionals brings diverse perspectives to your case based on all levels of experience in the field.
  • We have more than a century of collective experience in matrimonial and family law.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • Please enter a message.