Livingston Child Custody Lawyer
Aggressive Custody Attorneys Ready To Help!
Do you need to fight for the best interests of your child? You don't need to fight alone. Get the support and legal expertise of seasoned Livingston child custody attorneys at Ziegler & Resnick LLC. Our team has more than 100 years of experience combined and is more than ready to take on your case.
Contact Ziegler & Resnick LLC for a private consultation with a custody lawyer. You can also call (973) 878-4373.
How to File for Joint Custody in NJ?
The guiding principle behind every child custody determination in New Jersey is the "best interest of the child." Same has been described as “an expression of the court’s special responsibility to safeguard the interests of a child at the center of a custody dispute”. Kinsella v. Kinsella, 150 N.J. 276, 317 (1997).
In fulfilling this “special responsibility," the courts are vested with broad discretion to “make such order as to the care, custody, education, and maintenance of the children... as the circumstances of the case shall render fit, reasonable and just." N.J.S.A. 2A:34-23. In exercising this discretion, the courts are mandated to consider a number of statutory factors as set forth in N.J.S.A 9:2-4.
These factors include:
- The parents' ability to collaborate and communicate on parenting decisions
- The parents' desire for custody and willingness to allow parenting time (in the absence of substantiated abuse)
- The child's relationships with each parent and any siblings
- The history of domestic abuse, if any
- The safety of all parties in the household from physical abuse from one another
- The child's preference (if they are old enough)
- The child's needs
- The stability of the newly proposed household
- The child's education and any foreseeable interruption to its continuity
- The overall fitness of each parent (will they have a substantial adverse effect on the child?)
- The locations of each parent's homes
- The time each parent spent with the kids prior to the divorce
- The professional responsibilities
- The number of children in the family and their ages
If you are concerned about your child's best interests, our skilled Livingston child custody lawyers are ready to help you. Call (973) 878-4373 today.
We are active and well-known in the community with a strong dedication to professionalism.
Many of our attorneys have been featured on television/radio and frequently speak at various local and state bar seminars.
Our team of legal professionals brings diverse perspectives to your case based on all levels of experience in the field.
We have more than a century of collective experience in matrimonial and family law.